Sunday, April 29, 2007

Balloons close to Heaven

We decided to do things a little bit different this year for a couple of reasons. First, because it was the tenth anniversary of being away from Dayner. Second, I wanted to do something the kids would remember. Rose and I kind of came of with the idea at the same time together, which to me always means it is probably meant to be.

We arrived at the base of Sandia about 5:40 and I wanted to get the 5:45 flight but as we got into the loading/ticket area I saw it was quite full and we wouldn't make it. We had to wait for the 6:05, which wasn't bad because the kids were excited to watch the tram travel up the mountain.

We were first to get on the tram so we got the front of the car. We were quite a sight with four kids running around and six fully inflated balloons. Rose was very excited about it until we got to the first tower. As it bumped and swayed for the next few seconds she got the "serious" look on her face. The next part was a traveling over the canyon which meant we were about 1000 ft in the air. The whole time she was very conscience that I wanted this to be special and didn't say much even though I could see she was scared.




The top of the peak was chilly but surprizingly not very windy...perfect for a balloon launch. We got everyone together and went to the edge of the observation area. The skies were overcast and stormy in the distance. The sun was setting behind it all like the peace at the end of all turbulance. We all took a turn saying something to Dayne and then on the count of three we all launch our balloons. We all stood there taking a minute to watch them travel with the wind into the west.




The whole thing worked very well and it was a very fitting tribute. With all of the family spanning the globe and thousands of miles apart hopefully Dayne was able record us at each of our locations to share it with us.

Quickly a couple more thoughts...

Then as it was,
then again it will be
Though the course may change sometimes
Rivers always reach the sea
Changes fills my time,
but that's all right with me
In the midst I think of you
And how it used to be

Turn the eyes and I sparkle
Senses growing keen
Tasting joy along the way
softens the dolor in between.
A moment ago I had come apart
trying to understand it all
and trying to find a place
to catch me when I fall

Waking to find the
sun of a brand new dawn,
I look around and realize it’s
Already ten years gone

And in the words of Tennyson..

Tears, idle tears, I know not what they mean,
Tears from the depth of some divine despair
Rise in the heart, and gather to the eyes,
In looking on the happy Autumn-fields,
And thinking of the days that are no more.

Ah, sad and strange as in dark summer dawns
The earliest pipe of half-awakened birds
To dying ears, when unto dying eyes
The casement slowly grows a glimmering square;
So sad, so strange, the days that are no more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Tyler, Rose, Chloe, Tally, Truman & Tennyson. What a great idea. I loved the pictures and thot too, how far apart and yet connected we are blessed to be. We let our balloons go a few minutes after 6:30. After they had gotten up high (you're right it was a perfect day for a balloon launch, 8 or 9 large white birds (larger than a hawk, smaller than an eagle, nothing I've ever heard or seen in the canyon) circled around & around, and chattered so we couldn't help but wonder if this was yet "another" connection we were blessed w/ from Dayne. We love you. Thanks again for making this memorable for your family and for Dad and me.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, one more thing - your poem was so touching. I've always thot you have an amazing writing talent. And thanks too, for sharing the poem from Tennyson - very profound, isn't it.

Unknown said...

Dear Tyler and the entire Harris family,
Dyan sent me the link to your blog :) How cool that you have a blog. As I was praying so much yesterday and also posted a blog on my myspace page I was having a little trouble with my computer. A thought enereted into my mind... I know Dayne could fix this. I know he still loves computers.

Thank you for writing such beautiful words and having such a heartfelt experience with your family and Dayner. As I was reading it, my eyes filled with tears... I could feel Dayne right next to me. I think this is the strongest I have felt him in a few years. I miss him so much, I love him still so much.
"Think of him often" as you said at his funeral. I really do.
I love you all so tenderly. Thank you for all the love you have given to me and thanks for keeping his beautiful smile.
Love always
Melissa

Connie O said...

What a magnificant way to connect your children to Dayne.
Even though I have never been officially invited to launch the Dayner balloons, I have launched balloons every year since I participated with Savannah when she was here in Boise a couple of years ago.
I launched white balloons at Dayner's grave. It was uneventful, but yet very peaceful. In fact, it is usually very noisy at the cemetary, for Chinden is being widened, but not on this day which was warm and overcast.
As I let the balloons go, I had the thoughts of how much Dayner is loved and missed by family and friends...how good he was at computer games (at least he thought so, and he always had to demonstrate to me his computer game expertise)...how darn cute he was as a toddler and how darn cute and unique he was as a teenager...how he was and still to this day the funniest person I know (whenever I read his letters they still make me laugh - and his Star Trek video has a line that I love "dammit Data (msp?) I can't keep my arm on" - just writing it makes me laugh...and how he would respond when our phone conversations would end - I would say "I love you" and Dayner would ALWAYS say "me too"...
Thanks Tyler for "opening the door" to share about DaynerRoo.