Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Genesis

I am creating this log to chronicle the travels, trials and triumphs of the family. This will be a way of sharing some of the interesting events in the family and allow for comment to those. Hopefully, the additions and edits will be something that is perpetual and enjoyed by those who read it.

The first thing I wanted talk about was the trip to Papa's farm that Truman and I got to go on last weekend, 5 May. It is fitting that this entry goes along with the title of "The Genesis" because this is where our family began as well. Truman and I went down to help Papa shoot some video of different locations on the farm that has some special meaning. We had a great time but somewhat bittersweet because of the imminent selling of the farm. It made me feel as if we were selling a bit of our own history. I say "we" but it really has nothing to do with me. I realize everybody loves the farm but from a practical perspective it doesn't make sense to keep it if nobody really has the time to give it the care it deserves. It is almost like the farm is a dying relative, who is full of history and stories, but at some point you just have to let go. I am probably not the best person to judge on issues like this either...I still have my high school library card in my closet because it reminds me of books I read back then.



One of the highlights of the trip was the fishing excursion we took at the end of the day. We went fishing in the pond behind the farm with some poles we found in the old barn. On the first cast of his life Truman pulled out a huge 14" large mouth bass. He now holds a stat that I don't think any Harris, Carrico, or Buckley could beat...1 fish/ever 30 seconds of fishing in his life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your site. You are one bloggin'creator (and my reference to bloggin' is used in the positive - so keep on bloggin').
The 'farm' never really was a part of my life, but it too makes me sad that it will come to an end...but your memories (and pics) will live on and on. In fact, they will grow in description. As an example Tally's fish in a couple of years will be the size and creature of a small shark.
I take exception to comparing the Buckley fishing accomplishments to that of Tallies, yes Tally seems to be on the path to fishing greatness, but...I remember many times we didn't even have to 'cast' - we would just have Mother/Boo-Boo start singing and the fish would jump in our arms to stop the singing.

Anonymous said...

I love your site. You are one bloggin'creator (and my reference to bloggin' is used in the positive - so keep on bloggin').
The 'farm' never really was a part of my life, but it too makes me sad that it will come to an end...but your memories (and pics) will live on and on. In fact, they will grow in description. As an example Tally's fish in a couple of years will be the size and creature of a small shark.
I take exception to comparing the Buckley fishing accomplishments to that of Tallies, yes Tally seems to be on the path to fishing greatness, but...I remember many times we didn't even have to 'cast' - we would just have Mother/Boo-Boo start singing and the fish would jump in our arms to stop the singing.

Anonymous said...

sorry I left two of the same messages...but then again what I write is worth reading twice. Also, you don't need to ever point out to me that I wrote "Tallies" which actually I think is a more creative way of writing Tally's -

Anonymous said...

I was driving home and it hit me that it wasn't Tally in the picture it was Truman. It also is apparent that I am the only one commenting on your blog...so I find myself very enjobable to blog back and forth with